What is endpoint security software?
Endpoint security software, also known as endpoint protection platforms (EPP), helps protect devices like laptops, desktops, and mobile devices in an organization. They aim to prevent, detect, and block threats from compromising endpoints through features like:
- Antivirus and anti-malware: Scan for and remove viruses, malware, and other malicious software.
- Firewall: Monitor network traffic and block unauthorized access.
- Web filtering: Restrict access to malicious or unapproved websites.
- Device control: Manage what devices can be connected to endpoints like USB drives.
- Data loss prevention: Detect and prevent sensitive data from leaving endpoints.
EPP solutions offer threat protection through signature-based detection, machine learning, and behavioral analysis to identify suspicious activity in real-time. They provide a first line of defense for your remote workforce by securing endpoints, the access points where attackers often gain a foothold.
When evaluating EPP software, consider key features like:
- Coverage for all your endpoints including laptops, desktops, servers, and mobile devices.
- Ease of deployment and management especially for remote, distributed teams.
- Effectiveness in identifying advanced, unprecedented threats through machine learning and behavior analysis.
- Reliability minimizes false positives that can disrupt productivity.
- Scalability to support growth.
- Customer support to help guide configuration and address any issues.
Why endpoint security is crucial for remote teams
You should know: In the remote-first year of 2020, cyberattacks increased by 300%, with endpoints being the most targeted entry point for hackers.
Endpoint security platforms detect and block threats on devices, even when offline or on insecure networks. With remote workers connecting from home or public Wi-Fi networks, endpoint protection is the first line of defense.
Besides that, endpoint detection and response (EDR) tools provide real-time monitoring and response to advanced threats. They use machine learning to identify zero-day and targeted attacks and then contain and eliminate them. For remote teams, EDR solutions offer an extra layer of protection for devices in vulnerable environments.
Top 5 free endpoint security solutions
When it comes to protecting your remote endpoints, free and low-cost solutions can get the job done without breaking the bank. Here are some of the top free endpoint security platforms to consider:
Windows Defender is Microsoft’s built-in anti-malware tool for Windows PCs. It provides real-time monitoring for viruses, malware, and other threats. Key features include:
- Signature-based detection of known malware and viruses
- Machine learning to detect emerging and unknown threats
- Vulnerability scanning and patch management
- Basic firewall and web protection
✅ Pros: Free, simple to use, and automatically updated.
❌ Cons: Limited features compared to paid solutions. No mobile device management. Only work with Windows.
Avast Free Antivirus
- Real-time and scheduled scanning for malware, viruses, and suspicious activity
- Web shield and firewall to block network intrusions
- Ransomware shield and behavior shield to detect threats
- Basic Wi-Fi scanner and password manager
✅ Pros: Free, frequent updates, and extra security tools. Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Android.
❌ Cons: Promotes paid upgrades. Limited features. No endpoint detection and response.
AVG AntiVirus Free
- Real-time Protection: It actively scans for viruses and malware.
- Email and Web Protection: Scans email attachments and blocks malicious websites.
- Automatic Updates: Regular updates keep you protected from new threats.
✅ Pros: Free and user-friendly, effective basics with solid protections.
❌ Cons: Ads in the free version, lacks advanced features like a firewall.
Sophos Home Free
Sophos Home Free is a comprehensive free endpoint security solution offering:
- Real-time threat detection and removal of malware, viruses, and ransomware
- Web filtering to block malicious websites and phishing attempts
- Remote management to protect multiple devices across platforms
- Privacy protection with webcam and microphone access control
✅ Pros: Free, user-friendly interface, supports both Windows and Mac devices.
❌ Cons: Limited advanced features compared to the paid version.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
- Real-time scanning for malware and phishing protection
- Autopilot mode for hassle-free protection
- Anti-fraud and anti-phishing protection during web browsing
- Automatic updates to stay up-to-date with the latest threats
✅ Pros: Free, lightweight, and effective at detecting and blocking threats.
❌ Cons: Few additional features compared to paid versions. Limited to Windows PCs.
These free endpoint security solutions can help protect your remote team from threats like malware, viruses, and network intrusions without a high price tag. For more advanced protection, you may want to consider paid options with features like endpoint detection and response, mobile device management, and 24/7 support.
Top 5 low-cost endpoint security options under $5/month
As a small business owner, finding affordable endpoint security solutions for your remote workforce is crucial. Here are some of the top low-cost options under $5 per user per month to consider:
ESET Endpoint Security
- Low cost at $3.50/device/month
- Easy to deploy and manage
- Highly rated by independent testers
- Limited reporting and analytics
- Primarily signature-based detection
Bitdefender GravityZone Business Security
- Very affordable at $3.50/device/month
- Highly rated protection and threat detection
- Integrated patch management and vulnerability scanning
- Complex interface with a learning curve
- Limited support for legacy OS and applications
Trend Micro Worry-Free Services
Trend Micro Worry-Free Services provides real-time protection against advanced threats using machine learning, behavior analysis, and global threat intelligence. Key features include anti-malware, web security, application control, device control, firewall, and mobile device management.
- Cost-effective at $4.95/device/month
- Easy to set up and manage
- Integrated with leading endpoint detection and response tools
- Primarily signature-based detection
- Limited reporting and analytics features
Webroot Endpoint Protection
- Cost at $3.33/device/month
- Superior Endpoint Protection
- Intuitive Interface
- Limited Reporting and Analytics
- Rely on Signature-Based Detection
Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud
- Affordable at $3.25/device/month
- Comprehensive Protection
- Easy Deployment and Management
- Proactive Threat Hunting
- Limited Reporting and Analytics
- Potential Performance Impact
Using a combination of these affordable endpoint security solutions can help provide comprehensive protection for your remote workforce without breaking the bank. Evaluate each option based on your specific needs and technical requirements to determine the best solution for your business.
Choosing the right endpoint security software for your business
Choosing the right endpoint security software is crucial for protecting your company’s data and systems. With many options available, you’ll want to evaluate each based on your specific business needs and technical requirements. Some key factors to consider include:
Threat protection capabilities
Look for a solution with strong threat prevention and detection, including:
- Signature-based detection to block known malware
- Behavioral analysis and machine learning to detect zero-day threats
- Mobile device management to secure all endpoints
- Endpoint detection and response (EDR) to continuously monitor for suspicious activity
Ease of management
For a small team, choose a platform that is easy to deploy, configure and maintain. Key features include:
- Centralized management console to control all endpoints
- Automated scans, updates, and reports to minimize manual work
- Simple policy creation and enforcement across your network
Cost and scalability
Consider both your current team size as well as potential future growth. Some options to evaluate include:
- Free or low-cost solutions for small teams (under 50 endpoints)
- Mid-tier platforms with monthly per-endpoint pricing
- Enterprise-level suites with customized deployments and pricing
Compatibility and integration
Make sure any solution you choose works with your existing tech stack and can be integrated as needed. This includes:
- Support for all endpoint types – Windows, Mac, Linux, virtual, mobile
- Integration with network security tools like firewalls, VPNs, and web proxies
- Open APIs for connecting with SIEMs, network access controls, and more
With a variety of free trials and demos available, you can take the time to evaluate multiple options before making a final decision.
Esevel – The optimal endpoint security software
If you are looking for software to fit perfectly with startups with distributed teams across Asia, Esevel is the absolute choice.
From device deployment to secure employee offboarding, Esevel IT software streamlines the deployment process to save you time. Plus, our all-in-one endpoint security solution makes managing your organization’s IT assets a breeze at a price tailored to your needs.
Once employees onboard, Esevel automatically enrolls their devices, applies security policies, and keeps them updated. If issues arise, in-country support across 8 Asian countries ensures speedy solutions. With simplified device management and airtight security measures built-in, Esevel gives you complete control and visibility over your IT infrastructure.